Tortoise Group Information Sheet #38
MegaDiet RF and Tortoise Diet
Description: MegaDiet RF (reformulated) is a high-fiber, low-protein diet perfect for desert tortoises. This formula contains the proper balance of protein and fiber a tortoise needs, along with all the vitamins and minerals. Serve this diet to tortoises large and small in a juicy mash that tortoises find very tasty. Keep a supply of fresh water handy in the habitat.
Sizes: 19-ounce bag, 10-pound sack
Comparison with Original MegaDiet: Recent information has shown that Original MegaDiet contains a balance of protein and fiber that may promote an unhealthy rate of fast growth.
- Soften pellets with water 2-3 minutes making a juicy mash. Do not feed dry pellets.
- 1 part MegaDiet RF to 1 1/2 parts water is about right.
- Pellets puff up quickly as the water is absorbed.
- Place MegaDiet RF on something flat like a tile or heavy plate without a high lip. The plate shouldn't tip when the tortoise steps on it or have a high lip so that the tortoise has trouble reaching the food.
- Form the mash into a wedge so that the tortoise can take bites without clogging its nostrils.
- Pick up food when the tortoise has finished. Do not leave for the tortoise to eat dry.
MegaDiet RF softened with water into a juicy mash is formed into a wedge for easy biting. Yuuummy!!
How much? Feed as much as the tortoise wants to eat at one time. You'll know after a few feedings how much your tortoise wants to eat. Store prepared MegaDiet RF in a container in the refrigerator for several days.
When to feed: Let your tortoise warm up and browse before giving MegaDiet RF.
How often? Feed 2-3 times per week. Hand feeding or feeding every day causes the tortoise to wait for its food rather than browse.
Changing to the new food: A reluctant tortoise can be encouraged to eat MegaDiet RF by mixing some of the previous food into MegaDiet RF. Slowly reduce the amount of previous food until your tortoise is eating MegaDiet RF alone.
How about hatchlings? Hatchlings eat MegaDiet RF as eagerly as their bigger brothers and sisters.
Pigeons and dogs do not care for MegaDiet RF! Cockroaches and ants do! Pick up the food right after your tortoise finishes, when possible. Do not leave out over night.
Storage: Store dry MegaDiet RF in a cool, dry place. It does not need to be refrigerated.
Do not freeze.
MegaDiet RF Tortoise Food - easy to prepare and serve
What Else Can I Give My Tortoise?
Ideal tortoise diet: The tortoise browses on plants in its habitat and eats MegaDiet RF 2-3 times per week. However, we know that folks want to give their tortoises treats. It's easy to spoil a tortoise and upset the scientifically formulated balance of MegaDiet RF. Please use care.
Offer any time: Dandelion flowers, roses (grown without pesticides), other ornamental flowers like petunias, new spineless cactus pads, and other garden plants.
- Broccoli, kale, collard and mustard greens, and other kinds of cabbage can depress the thyroid. They also have relatively high protein (not good).
- All kinds of lettuce, including Romaine. They contain only water, sugar, and very little fiber.
- Spinach, beet greens, and Swiss chard contain oxalic acid that binds calcium making it unavailable to the tortoise's system (for making a hard shell, for instance).
- Sweet fruit and corn. Tortoises do not have the enzyme to digest sugar, which produces painful gas.
- Dog or cat food contain meat products. Tortoises are vegetarians.
- No frozen vegetables. Some nutrients are lost when foods are frozen. Foods are often rubbery and have added sodium.
- Canned and frozen vegetables, dairy products, breads, and celery all contain high sodium amounts.
MegaDiet RF Ingredients
Suncured Oat Hay, Suncured Timothy Hay, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Whole Ground Wheat, Escarole, Endive, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Yeast Culture, Dandelion Greens (dried), Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, Direct-Fed Microorganisms (heat stable cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Enterococcus faecium, Aspergillus oryzae), Yeast Extract, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Garlic Extract, Anise Extract, Cassia Extract (Chinese), Ginger Extract, Horseradish Extract, Juniper Extract, Natural Flavoring, Marigold (petal extract), Yucca schidigera (whole plant powder), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of stabilized Vitamin C), Zinc Methionine Complex, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin E Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement (Retinyl Acetate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate (source of Vitamin B5), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Tribasic Copper Chloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.
Crude Protein (Min) 9.0% Crude Fat (Min) 2.0% Crude Fiber (Max) 26.0% Moisture (Max) 13.0% Ash (Max) 10.0% Calcium (Min) 0.9% Calcium (Max) 1.3% Phosphorus (Min) 0.4%S odium (Max) 0.3%